(NR82kr) Metropolitan Division Officers Awarded Following Hostage Situation

The Media Relations Section deals exclusively with matters related to the sharing of information between the Department and the public it serves. The MRS goal is to ensure that open lines of communication are maintained at all times with all segments of the greater Los Santos community.

Moderators: LSPD Staff Officers, LSPD Command Officers, OCOP: Media Relations Section Command

Media Relations Section
Los Santos Police Department
Los Santos Police Department
Forum Name: LSPD Media Relations
Assignment: Professional Standards Bureau

(NR82kr) Metropolitan Division Officers Awarded Following Hostage Situation

Post by Media Relations Section » April 26th, 2020, 1:36 am

News Release
SPACER
Sunday, April 26, 2020
Metropolitan Division Officers Awarded Following Hostage Situation (NR82kr)

Los Santos: Metropolitan Division officers were awarded following a hostage situation that took place inside Club Atlantic on Atlantic Avenue, East Beach. At approximately 23:40 hours on April 24th, a patrol unit spotted several males entering Club Atlantic with heavy weaponry. The Department's elite SWAT team (D Platoon) was called out to the situation. Upon response and further investigation, officers discovered that the suspects were armed with long rifles and had taken two hostages inside the club.

SWAT arrived on the scene and in an attempt to peacefully defuse the situation, began the negotiation process with the hostage-takers. The hostage-takers were not responsive to negotiations and given the seriousness of the situation, the presence of hostages, and the need for immediate intervention, the Department's Incident Commander (the officer in charge of a particular incident or situation) in liaison with SWAT, made the decision to proceed with tactical entry into the club.

At approximately 0020 hours, entry was made into the club by SWAT. The hostage-takers immediately opened fire upon entry, however, they were neutralized before they could inflict injuries to hostages or SWAT officers. The hostages were secured and rescued by the SWAT team. The hostage-takers were declared as deceased by the LSFD paramedics.

A collection of weaponry was recovered from the hostage-takers, including two AK-47 assault rifles, a fully-automatic UZI pistol, and a semi-automatic pistol.

A review of the situation by the Department's Commendation Board, presided by Assistant Chief Kaitlyn Reed, determined that the SWAT officers involved "distinguished themselves by bravery or heroism above and beyond the normal demands of duty." As a result, all involved SWAT personnel have been awarded the Department's fourth-highest medal, the Police Star, for their display of bravery and outstanding tactics during a situation involving heavily armed suspects and multiple hostages.

Furthermore, it was determined that some of the SWAT officers involved demonstrated remarkable marksmanship and discipline by successfully neutralizing the hostage-takers while at the same time ensuring no casualties were sustained either to the hostages or other SWAT officers. These officers have been awarded the Department's Sharpshooter Medal for their performance.

Police Star Recipents
Sergeant II Adrian Mendez
Sergeant II Alvin Chandler
Sergeant II Franco Molina
Sergeant II Marcus Nazario
Sergeant II Ronald Newman
Sergeant II Scott Byrne
Sergeant II Victor Kingsley
Sergeant I James Aguirre
Sergeant I Nick Beckett
Sergeant I Ronnie Jackson
Police Officer III+1 Jake Valdez